Sunday 30 March 2014

Days out: Wentworth Castle Gardens

Days out: Wentworth Castle Gardens

This weekend had the weather forecast of being sunny and nice so myself and my husband decided to don the walking boots and go out.

We decided to go somewhere within driving distance in Zoe, therefore we opted for Wentworth Castle Gardens. This is near Barnsley which is about 30 miles away from us. After a drive out around the countryside and some windy roads we arrived.
The car park was quite busy but we got a space straight away, Then there was a little walk up the hill to the entrance. (if you are disabled you can drive up this hill closer to the entrance and show your blue badge).



You enter through a quaint gift shop where you smell the food from the lovely cafe and buy your tickets. Then you get your map and you are off the explore. There is a lot to see and wether you like animals (lots and lots of sheep) the buildings or the gardens there are many places to see. Also something I really liked is there are lots of benches and seating around the park.




We went to see the newly refurbished conservatories. It was interesting to see how they used to look and their transformation to what is now a light bright and modern indoor garden space. 
From here we wondered off the main path and went into the woodland and the trails. This was ideal for the walking boots as it was still a little muddy underfoot. Yet again we were greeted by hundreds of daffodils. this reminded me why I like to get outdoors in the spring.



I then spotted a very interesting looking tree. Now don't think I've gone mental but I saw this and it took me back to my child hood and I shouted and pointed like a 2 year old. “Fairy Steps” my husband looked at me gone out and then looked where I was pointing and smiled. What do you think? I can understand why the fairies would like to live high up in the trees and maybe they don't want to use their wings all of the time.



We walked up to the castle and then went up the 83 steps to the top of one of the turrets. Where we had a nice view over the park and the countryside. The only thing that could have been better was the weather was still a little misty and after all of those steps a seat would have been greatly received.



We wondered back through the well manicured gardens and all of the little gates back towards the beginning. I can see how this would be a lovely place to come in the summer when the flowers are in full bloom. Finally we arrived back the the cafe, where a homemade jam scone and tea awaited. A great way to finish off the day.



I would recommend going here, I can see how some of the hills and slopes could be an issue for wheelchairs if you went away from the footpaths and I would think a more off road type buggy would be needed.


The entry was reasonable at £5.50 each and this included a parking token. We did spy that national trust members got 50% off. On entry and paying we were also asked if we were eligible to or interested in giving gift aid on our ticket price. I think this was a great idea as 20% goes back to the company as a tax relief donation.

No comments:

Post a Comment